For those who don’t know, char cloth is a useful tool for starting a fire. It is so flammable that you only need a few sparks to create an ember. Then you can use that to get a fire going. Of course, you can start a fire with other types of tinder, but most of them won’t catch fire as easily.
Although you can buy char cloth online, I recommend making it yourself as the materials cost very little. In this video, Sigma 3 Survival School explains how to make char cloth step by step.
Want to save this post for later? Click Here to Pin It on Pinterest!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Cotton (from a T-shirt or anything made of cloth).
- An empty Zippo lighter.
- Some sticks and twigs for a small fire.
Here’s how to make it:
- Fold up the cotton and put it inside the Zippo.
- Build a small fire on top of the Zippo.
- Let the fire burn until there’s nothing but ash and charcoal.
- Let the Zippo cool off completely before you pick it up.
- Open it up and remove the cloth, which is now char cloth.
And that’s all there is to it! To start a fire, stick the char cloth in the top of the Zippo and turn the striker wheel. A few sparks will hit the char cloth and create an ember which you can blow into a flame.
To see exactly how this is done, watch the video below.