It’s well known in the survival world that Vaseline and cotton balls together are one of the best ways to catch a spark and convert it into a flame. So if you have any cotton balls or nearly empty bottles of Vaseline lying around, don’t throw them away! This video will show you how to make a waterproof fire starter that is convenient to carry around.
What You Need
- Cotton balls
- Plastic straws (the fat ones are better for this)
How To Make It
- Rub one or two cotton balls in Vaseline and then tear the cotton apart into threads.
- Cut the straws into three-inch-pieces.
- Use your pliers to pinch one of one of the pieces shut. Run your lighter next to the pinched end and it should fuse shut.
- Take your Vaseline covered cotton threads, roll them up, and stuff as much as you can into the open end of the straw.
- Close off that open end by repeating the same process with the lighter.
- Repeat with all the other pieces.
- When you need to access the cotton inside, simply cut the straw open with a knife.
Watch it Done