There are countless articles and videos with lists of tips, hacks, and things to do if you bug in during a disaster. However, there aren’t many lists of things NOT to do. That is the subject of this video by Reality Survival.
If you’ve never bugged in for an extended period of time without power, then you probably have no idea all the mistakes people make when doing this. If you’re not careful, you could get your family sick, draw unwanted attention, waste your resources, and even get yourself killed.
Here are the first five tips:
1. Don’t burn treated wood because the chemicals in it could make you sick.
2. Don’t cook inside unless you have an exhaust system or you will get carbon monoxide poisoning.
3. Don’t board up the windows from the outside. Rather, board them up from the inside.
4. Don’t cook with galvanized metal containers because of the dangerous chemicals in them.
5. Don’t burn green lumber or pine in your fireplace or stove as it will cause creosote to build up which can catch fire.
Watch the video below for the rest of the things not to do while bugging in.