Finding water in the wilderness is actually pretty straightforward. Walk downhill, look for animal tracks that are all heading in the same direction, watch for areas with lots of insects such as mosquitoes, and listen carefully. There are many other ways to gather water in the wilderness, but those are the basics.
Gathering water in the city, however, is a whole other situation. Where can you find water during an urban disaster? In this video, The Green Prepper answers that question.
Want to save this post for later? Click Here to Pin it On Pinterest!
Here are his suggestions.
- Toilet – The water in the back is safe to drink.
- Water Heater – Be sure to turn it off before draining it.
- Canned Food – Stock up on fruits and veggies canned in water.
- Fire Hydrant – You’ll need this. Remove the nut on the side, then slowly turn the top until water pours out. Let it run for a few minutes to get the rust out.
- Lakes and Streams – Obviously you’ll need a way to purify this water.
- Water Tower – I kind of facepalmed at this suggestion, but I suppose if you’re desperate enough it’s an option.
- Rainwater – Set buckets under the downspouts, or set up a rainwater harvesting system.
- Atmospheric Water Generator – An extremely expensive option which isn’t specific to urban survival anyway. But if you’re rich, go for it.
Watch him discuss these options in the video below.
Want to prep but not sure where to begin?
Click Here to Get Your FREE One Year Urban Survival Plan!