In a post-apocalyptic world, value will not be defined by money but by things that are in short supply or simply don’t exist. So what defines the value of something?
- Is the item necessary for survival and is the item something that will help with long term survival, or does it just meet immediate needs?
- Is the item a luxury item? These are items that make life easier or may come in handy but are not necessary for surviving. However, these types of items will still have value.
Want to save this post for later? Click Here to Pin It on Pinterest!
Trading or barter will become the new standard for commerce. But it does bring some danger, which is why you should never trade alone. In this video, Serious Survivor discusses the ten categories of things that will remain valuable even after the end of the world as we know it.
Here’s his list:
- Feed and seed
- Seeds and farming experience
- Animal husbandry, hunting and fishing skills.
- Beans, rice, flour and sugar
- MRE’s or Meals-Ready-to-Eat.
- Canned foods and foods with similar long shelf life.
- Water & Purification
- Water purifying bottles and Lifestraws.
- Water purification tablets and chemicals.
- Water pump/filter combos.
- Large water filtration devices.
- Water storage devices.
- Medical, First Aid and hygiene.
- Survival Tools and Gear. Consists of items that allow you to survive on a fundamental level in any environment.
- Clothing and accessories.
- Boots and shoes.
- Cold or harsh weather clothing.
- Undergarments and socks.
- Tactical clothing and body armor.
- Normal wear shirts and pants.
- Having both the knowledge and equipment to produce alcohol.
- Growing tobacco is ideal because it is a sustainable resource.
- Storing or stockpiling tobacco products.
- A gasifier is a device that can be built to produce both LP gas and liquid fuels.
- You could construct an agitator that keeps gas pressurized and moving in a container for long-term storage.
- Storing fuels is an option but extended storage of 3 years or more can be an issue.
- Weapons and Ammo
- Firearms will be one of the most valuable items.
- The Repair and building of firearms and the knowledge and tools will be of high value.
- Ammunition and production.
- Bladed weapons such as knives, swords, machetes, axe or hatchet.
- It’s not just about firearms. Bats, clubs, steel poles, anything on hand that can be used for self-defense.
Watch the video below for more details on what and how to barter after the end of the world as we know it.