Although a gas mask is a great thing to include in your preparedness supplies, it’s usually not a top priority for most preppers. There are only a few specific scenarios where you would need one, each of which isn’t very likely.
Still, I think we should be prepared for as many scenarios as possible. But if for some reason you don’t have access to a gas mask when you need one, there’s a way to make your own from a few household items.
In this video, Black Scout Survival explains how to make your own gas mask. Of course, it’s a lot easier to simply buy a gas mask, but if you’re in a survival scenario with many other people who also need gas masks, you may have to improvise. That’s why I think this is a skill worth learning.
Want to save this post for later? Click Here to Pin It on Pinterest!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2-liter bottle (rinsed out, label and cap removed).
- Soda can.
- Thick rubber bands.
- Cotton pad rounds.
- Duct tape.
- Medical tape.
- Activated charcoal (not pills, but a large container like you’d find on the aquarium isle).
Here’s how to make it:
- Use scissors to cut off the bottom of the 2-liter, right where it starts to curve.
- Cut off about 1/4 of the side of the bottle, down to where it starts to curve toward the top. Round off that end.
- Use medical tape to pad the rough edges you just cut (optional).
- Put duct tape around the bottom and fold it over to pad the rough edges on the bottom.
- Put duct tape down the edges of the section you cut out and fold it over to pad that as well.
- Use scissors to cut multiple breather holes in the bottom of the soda can.
- Cut off the bottom of the can, about two inches from the bottom, creating a small can.
- Put a cotton round in the bottom of the small can.
- Pour a layer of activated charcoal onto the cotton round.
- Put a cotton round on top of the activated charcoal.
- Use duct tape to tape a cotton round to the top of the small can.
- Poke a hole in the center of the cotton round.
- Use that hole to fit your new filter over the 2-liter’s spout.
- Use duct tape to tape the filter to the 2-liter.
- At this point, put the gas mask up to your face and make sure you can breathe through it, otherwise you’ll want to add more holes to the can.
- Break a rubber band. Now poke holes at the two corners near the top of the mask.
- Run the rubber band through one hole and tie a knot, then run the other end of the rubber band through the other hole and tie a knot.
- Put it on and make sure there’s a good seal all the way around.
I explained the steps as clearly as I could, but if you found them confusing, you may want to watch the video below to see how it’s done.
Want to prep but not sure where to begin?
Click Here to Get Your FREE One Year Urban Survival Plan!
Like this post? Don’t Forget to Pin It On Pinterest!
You may also like: