A lot of guys enjoy the fantasy of the badass survivalist who makes it on his own in a post-apocalyptic world. If you ever played Fallout, you know what I’m talking about. You got your guns, your supplies, and your canine companion, and that’s all you need.
But reality is very different. In a post-SHTF world, it will be very difficult—if not impossible—to make it on your own. If you really want to survive, you need to be part of a community. And if you haven’t already, you need to either join or start a community of preppers in your area. People who will band together against the looters when the authorities have lost control.
Want to save this post for later? Click Here to Pin It on Pinterest!
In this video, Reality Survival & Prepping talks about things communities will need to do after the end of the world as we know it. Here’s his list:
- Do what you can to ensure local infrastructure stays maintained, functional, and secure.
- Form local markets to keep commerce and trade alive and well.
- Reestablishing rule of law and a sense of normalcy should be the primary focus.
- Remember to plan ahead. Start making preparations for winter, spring crops, fuel for equipment, etc. Always be thinking six to twelve months ahead.
- Utilize the U.S. Constitution and State Constitution to help re-establish the rule of law. Start with your local area and move outward. Cooperation and compromise will be critical.
- Hold local elections to elect judges, sheriffs, police chiefs, fire chiefs, mayors, county commissioners, militia leaders, etc. They will be voluntary at first.
- Hold town and area meetings to consider the formal dissolution of former town and county charters. Re-establish new ones in writing signed by officials.
- Establish a volunteer militia with clear roles and duties. Elect a leader of the militia. Be sure to differentiate between the police and militias so they understand their roles.
- Re-establish local, county, and state written laws and prescribed punishments. Start simple. Focus more on restraining the government than on restraining citizens.
- Determine how you want to handle schools for children. Homeschools? Local co-ops? What about internships and apprenticeships?
- Establish a local clinic or doctor’s office for treatment of disease, injuries, etc. Consider a security team for the doctor.
- Establish regular town and county meetings. Consider the utilization of local radio stations and other forms of communication to make people aware of these meetings.
- Consider the re-establishment of the public library and newspaper. Transparency and making information available to the public will be crucial.
- Don’t wait for the collapse. Start with your current town’s and city’s policies. Start finding ways to make your community more self-reliant.
- Consider getting a headstart on making plans for how to go about the reestablishment of your town and community.
Watch the video below for a detailed breakdown of each point.
Want to prep but not sure where to begin?
Click Here to Get Your FREE One Year Urban Survival Plan!
Illini Warrior says
I think the greatest hazard and most likely will be broadspread by communities >> will be treating a uber uber serious SHTF like a regular natural disaster SHTF that will short-lived and quikly FEMA covered by the FEDs & State …
Keeping the avenues into the community wide open to anything and everything that wanders in – filling up every available refugee space that can be utilized – using the community’s internal and now irreplaceable supplies wantonly and without any reserves – dispatching the limited manpower on outside emergency requests …
as a prepper – what you can attempt is to influence a correct response – explain & demonstrate the reality of the SHTF >> anything favorable for the community is the betterment for you as an individual prepper ….
Getting closer than your think. Here in Minneapolis more use of the laws has been imposed just this last week. Notice was mailed out by the City of Minneapolis regarding batteries and more rules on recycling. The other was to impose a 5 cent charge on plastic bags for shoppers announced on local radio, WCCO. That’s in addition to massive increases in property taxes now and in the future, sales taxes at all levels, city, county, state and announcements by the local power company of massive increases in electric rates. Also more police being put on the streets. As I said, SHTF, closer than you think.
Dan M. says
Finally, a comprehensive guide to establishing law and order, and helping to reestablish a community after a disaster with long term effects. This is truly the best of what “survival” really means.
We do not need ‘their’ kind of law and order.
That is what caused the problems in the first place.
Follow Noahide Laws and that is more than enough.
religious Zionist and Orthodox rabbis that guide the modern Noahide movement, who are often affiliated with the Third Temple movement, expound a racist and supremacist ideology which consists in the belief that the Jewish people are God’s chosen nation and racially superior to non-Jews…
I think #’s 1, 2 and 3 will be nearly impossible for a long time Post SHTF.
Maybe a year or two down the road at best.
Since food production will be disrupted, as well as transportation of food, that will be the primary concern and focus of everyone.
Thus, the gathering of anything but small groups of people, will impossible to sustain, until food production is stabilized.
Then there are the sanitation and health aspects related to sanitation and disease prevention in such a group.
This is the downfall of all non industrialized societies, in trying to sustain towns and cities. The constant disease and plagues of the Middle Ages attest to this.
Once those aspects of society are rebuilt and functioning, then maybe you can look at redeveloping a civil society with laws, elections and such.
Until then, it will be survival mode, survival of the fittest and meanest people or group.
So do not be lulled by fairy tale scenario’s, it will be gritty, rough and often deadly, day in and day out, just to survive.
Sanitation , search engine HUMANURE and download the latest book allowed , hard copy better , I’ve book 4 & 2 hardcopy and 3 by chapters download .
Sanitation without knowledge will kill more survivors than bullets IMHO
I concur….. sanitation / hygiene has done more than most things has improved our lives and health better than anything else followed by semi stable food supply and antibiotics.
Go to youtube. Watch ‘what anarchy isn’t’
Establishing ‘law and order’ just establishes MORE problems.
Especially when you are forced to OBEY at the end of a gun barrel.
What do you do if you don’t live in a community of preppers ? Moving is not a option for us. How do you approach your neighbors about prepping ?
Start by NOT talking to neighbors about prepping plans.
In US history, the first year the settlers came, 1/2 of them died from starvation.
Reason? They brought with them the European form of socialism.
Many did not work to produce but consumed like they were entitled to other’s hard work.
They even had to resort to eating the dead it was so bad.
Bugging out is NOT moving.
It is escaping a bad situation to survive.
If you cannot bug out, then you need to bug in.
Lots to do to prepare for that.
One of the most important things is a gun to defend yourself, family, and supplies.
1 gal of water per person per day is needed to survive.
People can go over a month with little food.
Lots to study there.
You could talk to a trustworthy neighbor and ask them what THEY would do in a SHTF situation.
Don’t reveal anything.
FYI if things get too bad, one human has about 144,000 calories in it. Just drain blood and cook very well done.
And at night so others cannot easily locate you.
A dog might be a BAD thing. People who are starving will try to get your dog and eat it.
Cats will be eaten quickly.