Here’s a quick and easy DIY stove tutorial by NightHawkInLight. All you need is a soup can and an old fashioned can punch opener like this one. The great thing about this video is he actually tests out the stove by cooking a full meal on it.
For those of you who prefer written instructions, here’s what to do (use punch can opener for every hole):
- Make an air inlet on the sidewall toward the bottom of can.
- Punch a hole in the bottom of the can right next to the air inlet you just made.
- Use the can opener to push both flaps of metal out of the bottom of the can, and bend them into feet that the stove can stand on.
- Do this 3 more times, making them evenly spaced from each other.
- Punch 8 air holes around the top of the can (bend the flaps all the way down so you don’t cut yourself on them.
- Layer the bottom of the can with some matchstick-size twigs, and put some slightly larger twigs on top of those.
- Hold a lighter up to one of the vent holes on the bottom and light it up.
That’s all there is to it! As the smaller twigs burn up, replace them with larger twigs (no thicker than your fingers) and the flame will be smaller and more manageable. You can set a pot or skillet right on the stove, but it’s better to use a trifold pot stand.
Want to prep but not sure where to begin?
Click Here to Get Your FREE One Year Urban Survival Plan!