This list of 100 items to disappear first has been passed around the Internet for a while and it’s a great guide. I recommend printing it so you can fold it up and put it in your wallet. Then when you’re out and about at flea markets, dollar stores, secondhand stores or wherever you end up, look it over and keep an eye out for good deals. You’ll be amazed at what you can find for only a few bucks. And odds are, most of these things will be priceless after a major disaster.
1. Generators. (Good ones cost a lot. They’re noisy, a target for thieves, require maintenance, etc.)
3. Portable Toilets.
4. Seasoned Firewood. Wood takes about 6 to 12 months to become dried.
5. Lamp Oil, Lamps, Wicks. (Buy CLEAR oil. If scarce, stockpile ANY!)
6. Coleman Fuel. It’s impossible to stockpile too much.
7. Weapons. Guns, Ammunition, Pepper Spray, Knives, Clubs, Bats & Slingshots, and other weapons for self defense.
8. Kitchen Tools. Hand-can openers, & hand egg beaters, whisks.
9. Honey /Syrups / white and brown sugar
10. Rice – Beans – Wheat.
11. Vegetable Oil (for cooking) Without it food burns/must be boiled, etc.)
12. Charcoal, Lighter Fluid (Will become scarce suddenly)
13. Water Containers Any size. Small: HARD CLEAR PLASTIC ONLY.
14. Mini Heater head (Propane) (Without this item, propane won’t heat up a room.)
15. Grain Grinder (Non-electric)
16. Propane Cylinders (Urgent: Definite shortages will occur.)
18. Mantles: Aladdin, Coleman, etc. (Without it, long-term lighting will be difficult.)
19. Baby Supplies: Diapers/formula. ointments/aspirin, etc.
20. Washboards, Mop Bucket w/wringer (for Laundry)
21. Cookstoves (Propane, Coleman & Kerosene)
22. Vitamins and other supplements
23. Propane Cylinder Handle-Holder
24. Feminine Hygiene/Haircare/Skin products
25. Thermal Underwear (Tops & Bottoms)
26. Bow saws, axes and hatchets, Wedges (also, honing oil)
27. Aluminum Foil Reg. & Heavy Duty (Great Cooking and Barter Item)
28. Gasoline Containers (Plastic & Metal)
29. Garbage Bags (It’s impossible To Have Too Many)
30. Toilet Paper, Kleenex, and Paper Towels
31. Milk – Powdered & Condensed (Shake Liquid every 3 to 4 months)
32. Garden Seeds (Non-Hybrid) (A MUST)
33. Clothes pins/line/hangers (A MUST)
35. Tuna Fish (in oil, not water)
36. Fire Extinguishers (or..large box of Baking Soda in every room)
37. First Aid Kits
38. Batteries (all sizes…buy furthest-out for Expiration Dates)
39. Garlic, spices & vinegar, baking supplies
40. Big Dogs (and plenty of dog food as well)
41. Flour, yeast & salt
42. Matches (“Strike Anywhere” preferred.) Boxed, wooden matches will go first
43. Writing paper/pads/pencils, solar calculators
44. Insulated ice chests (good for keeping items from freezing in Wintertime.)
45. Workboots, belts, Levis & durable shirts
46. Flashlights/LIGHTSTICKS & torches, “No. 76 Dietz” Lanterns
47. Journals, Diaries & Scrapbooks (jot down ideas, feelings, experiences)
48. Garbage cans – Plastic (it’s great for storage, water, transporting – if with wheels)
49. Men’s Hygiene: Shampoo, Toothbrush/paste, Mouthwash/floss, etc.
50. Cast Iron Cookware (sturdy, efficient)
51. Fishing supplies and tools
52. Mosquito coils/repellent, sprays/creams
53. Duct Tape
55. Candles and wicks
56. Laundry Detergent (liquid)
58. Garden tools & supplies
59. Scissors, fabrics & and sewing supplies
60. Canned Fruits, Veggies, Soups, stews, and so forth.
61. Bleach (plain, NOT scented: 4 to 6% sodium hypochlorite)
62. Canning Supplies (Jars/lids/wax)
63. Knives & Sharpening tools: files, stones, steel
64. Bicycles – Tires/tubes/pumps/chains, etc.
65. Sleeping Bags & blankets/pillows/mats
66. Carbon Monoxide Alarm (battery powered)
67. Board Games, Cards, Dice, Puzzles
68. d-con Rat poison, MOUSE PRUFE II, Roach Killer
69. Mousetraps, Ant traps & cockroach magnets
70. Paper plates/cups/utensils (stock up, folks)
71. Baby wipes, oils, waterless & Antibacterial soap (saves a lot of water)
72. Rain gear, rubberized boots, umbrellas, etc.
73. Shaving supplies (razors & creams, talc, after shave)
75. Soy sauce, vinegar, bullions/gravy/soupbase
76. Reading glasses and glasses repair kits
77. Chocolate/Cocoa/Tang/Punch (water enhancers)
79. Woolen clothing, scarves/ear-muffs/mittens
82. Graham crackers, saltines, pretzels, Trail mix, Beef Jerky
83. Popcorn, Peanut Butter, Nuts
84. Socks, Underwear, T-shirts, etc. (extras)
85. Lumber (all types)
86. Wagons & carts (for transport to and from)
87. Cots & Inflatable Mattresses
88. Gloves: Work/warming/gardening, etc.
89. Lantern Hangers
90. Screen Patches, glue, nails, screws,, nuts & bolts
92. Coffee, instant and regular
94. Wine/Liquors (for bribes, medicinal, etc,)
95. Paraffin Wax
96. Glue, nails, nuts, bolts, screws, etc.
97. Chewing gum/candies
98. Atomizers (for cooling/bathing)
99. Hats & cotton neckerchiefs
Also check out 200 Items You Can Barter After The Collapse.