Stockpiling rice, beans, pasta, and other basic survival foods is a great idea. However, there is one major problem with storing foods like that: you have to cook your meals from scratch. This is fine if you have plenty of time, fuel, water, and cleaning supplies. But if you’re running short on any of these, cooking from scratch without power and running water can be a major problem.
The good news is there are several other options. You can buy ready-to-eat canned foods, you can make meals-in-a-jar, or you can make instant meals that require nothing more than boiling water to be eaten. The Yummy Life wrote an amazing article about 6 instant meals-on-the-go with detailed instructions on how to make them. The meals include:
- Cous Cous with Chicken and Vegetables
- Thai Peanut Noodles with Chicken and Vegetables
- Fiesta Rice with Corn and Chicken
- Cous Cous with Chicken, Apricots, and Macadamia Nuts
- Creamy Alfredo Noodles with Chicken, Mushrooms & Pine Nuts
- Curry Rice with Chicken & Cashews